Skip to content
Curious Character Female

Am I eligible?

We give financial assistance to current, former and retired civil servants and their dependants. Find out if you are eligible.

Yes, if you are a civil servant

If you work/worked for a government department (such as HM Revenue and Customs, Department for Work and Pensions, or Ministry of Justice), then you are / were a civil servant. You are eligible whether you had a permanent role or a fixed term contract.

If you work / worked for an executive agency, such as the Health and Safety Executive, you are / were a civil servant.

Some Non-Departmental Public Bodies (NDPBs) are not part of the Civil Service.

If you’re not sure whether your organisation is part of the Civil Service, check the list of all current government departments and executive agencies via the website.

The following employers are not Civil Service:

  • the armed forces (but MOD civilian staff are)
  • local authority and county councils
  • the NHS
  • a recruitment agency even if you are working in a government office
  • agencies that work alongside a government department e.g. security companies

Search for other occupational charities giving support via Lightning Reach or approach your union if you are a member.

Asian woman smiling

Yes, if you are a dependant

We class a financial dependant as someone who relies on the civil servant (current or former or retired) for their income. Usually they’re part of that person’s household.

Dependants might be:

  • widows, widowers, surviving partners
  • divorced or separated partners where there is financial dependence and very little alternative support
  • children under 16 or over 16 but still in education
  • adult children or other relatives with illness, disability, frailness or vulnerability and financial dependence on the eligible civil servant and limited alternative support
  • carers and companions where they rely financially on the eligible civil servant and have very little alternative financial support

The fact that you are receiving financial or other in-kind contributions from the eligible civil servant does not in itself mean that you are financially dependent on them.

Caring sorting scarf

What you need to know before you apply

Savings limit

To be eligible for financial assistance, your savings or capital cannot exceed £6,000. Here’s what this means.

What we cover

Our financial assistance is for unexpected costs. Here’s a list of what we cover.

How to apply

All your questions answered about the process of applying for support.

What to do in a crisis

Charity for Civil Servants is not a crisis support charity. If you are in an emergency situation, here are some organisations that can help.

Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!