Skip to content
Sandwich carer

Who we support

We support current, former and retired civil servants and their dependants. Find out if you are eligible for support.

Civil servants

If you work/worked for a government department (such as HM Revenue and Customs, Department for Work and Pensions, or Ministry of Justice), then you are / were a civil servant. You are eligible whether you had a permanent role or a fixed term contract.

If you work / worked for an executive agency, such as the Health and Safety Executive, you are / were a civil servant.

Some Non-Departmental Public Bodies (NDPBs) are not part of the Civil Service.

If you’re not sure whether your organisation is part of the Civil Service, check the list of all current government departments and executive agencies via the website.

The following employers are not Civil Service:

  • the armed forces (but MOD civilian staff are)
  • local and county councils
  • the NHS
  • a recruitment agency and you are working in a government office
  • agencies that work alongside a government department e.g. security companies

Search for other occupational charities giving support via Lightning Reach or approach your union if you are a member


Asian woman smiling

Their dependants

We class a financial dependant as someone who relies on the civil servant (current or former or retired) for their income. Usually they’re part of that person’s household.

Dependants might be:

  • widows, widowers, surviving partners
  • divorced or separated partners where there is financial dependence and very little alternative support
  • children under 16 or over 16 but still in education
  • adult children or other relatives with illness, disability, frailness or vulnerability and financial dependence on the eligible civil servant and limited alternative support
  • carers and companions where they rely financially on the eligible civil servant and have very little alternative financial support

The fact that you are receiving financial or other in-kind contributions from the eligible civil servant does not in itself mean that you are financially dependent on them.

Caring sorting scarf

Types of support

We’ve built a portfolio of support to meet the needs of the Civil Service community.

Throughout this site, you’ll find apps, webinars and services covering a wide range of issues. You’ll need to register with our portal to access some. Information about how to do this, is on each page.

Our busy teams offer one-to-one support and can give financial assistance. Here’s more about these services and who can use them.

Wellbeing support

Request a telephone or video call with one of our trained and professional team. They’ll listen without judgement and signpost you to sources of help.

Money Advice Service

Our team of qualified and experienced advisors will talk to you about the best solutions available to resolve your money difficulties.

Financial assistance

We give financial assistance to cover unexpected costs. Find out what we cover and if you are eligible to apply.

Ready to apply?

If you are ready to start your application, here’s what you need to know.

You’ll be asked for documents such as a Civil Service payslip to prove that you work / worked for the Civil Service. Please have these ready.

What to do in a crisis

Charity for Civil Servants is not a crisis support charity. If you are in an emergency situation, here are some organisations that can help.

Related pages

Drowning in bills
Debt and budgeting

Help with all aspects of debt, budgeting and managing your money.


When a relationship breaks down, the stress can take over your life. Whatever’s going on, we’re on hand to support you through it.

Female leaping for joy
Health and wellbeing

Whatever you are coping with, we can listen and find ways to help.

Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!